Once you decide that surrogacy is the right family-building option for you and your partner, you’ll start to consider which surrogacy path to take: Private surrogacy or agency surrogacy. While some intended parents think that handling their own surrogacy is a good idea, you’ll experience more benefits when working with an agency.
Ready to start your surrogacy journey? Contact a surrogacy professional today.
Keep reading to find out the pros and cons of private surrogacy and agency surrogacy so you can make the best choice for your family.
What is Private Surrogacy?
Private surrogacy is when intended parents handle every aspect of their surrogacy independently. This means you will:
- Find a surrogate to work with
- Screen the surrogate
- Hire a surrogacy attorney
- Coordinate the medical portion of your surrogacy
- And more
Private Surrogacy Pros
Choosing to have an independent surrogacy isn’t for everyone, but handling a surrogacy on your own works well for some couples!
- You’re in control: You may feel more in control of your surrogacy journey if you and your partner are in charge.
- Your private surrogacy cost may be less expensive: Some intended parents are able to save a little money without the help of a surrogacy agency.
Some intended parents may have an easier time completing their surrogacy journey independently because:
- This is your second surrogacy: If you’ve already experienced one surrogacy journey, you may not need the help of a surrogacy professional.
- You know your surrogate: If you already have a surrogate, you may only need to work with a surrogacy attorney and fertility clinic.
Private Surrogacy Cons
Because surrogacy is an exciting and stressful time, some intended parents prefer to let surrogacy professionals handle the intricacies of the surrogacy journey. The following are a few of the downsides of choosing private surrogacy.
- Coordinating sensitive surrogacy services is challenging:You may experience trouble obtaining and properly handling private information and scheduling sensitive services.
- You may have to pay more for certain services: Surrogacy agencies often offer flat fees because of their partnerships with fertility clinics, etc. You’ll likely need to pay these professionals by the hour.
- You and your surrogate won’t receive support services: Surrogacy agencies provide intended parents and surrogates with their own surrogacy professionals. When you choose private surrogacy, though, you will work alone.
What is Agency Surrogacy?
Agency surrogacy differs from private surrogacy in many ways. When you choose to work with a surrogacy agency, you will receive surrogacy support and education, assistance during all surrogacy stages, and more.
Agency Surrogacy Pros
Surrogacy agencies provide the following invaluable services to intended parents during surrogacy.
- A surrogacy professional: You and the surrogate you work with will work with a surrogacy professional who will provide emotional and practical support through your surrogacy journey.
- Assistance through all your pre-surrogacy screenings: Your surrogacy professional will organize all necessary surrogacy screenings for you and the surrogate.
- Help through the medical and legal process of surrogacy: These two steps involve a lot of details, and a surrogacy agency is familiar with each action you must go through.
- Surrogate match-making services: If you aren’t already working with a surrogate, an agency will match you with a woman to work with. From here, your wait time will vary depending on the agency you work with. Currently, American Surrogacy has the shortest wait times among agencies, averaging 30 to 90 days.
Agency Surrogacy Cons
The main con of working with a surrogacy agency and why some people think they prefer private surrogacy is that they don’t know how to find an organization that can meet their needs.
The best way to find an agency that can provide every essential surrogacy service is to look for an agency with:
- Fixed fees: This assures your family financial clarity
- Short wait times: The shorter your wait time from activation to match, the quicker you will have your baby
- Personal support: Agencies that quickly reply to your requests are more likely to answer the phone when you need them during your surrogacy journey
The following surrogacy agencies are great places to consider working with:
Choose the Agency or Private Surrogacy Journey That’s Right for You
Deciding to grow your family through surrogacy is an exciting first step toward growing your family! Contact a surrogacy professional today to find out which surrogacy path is right for you.